Primary school pupil dies following a bacteria outbreak

A child has died and another has been taken to hospital after a bacteria outbreak at a primary school in Surrey.

The pupils at the Ashford Church of England Primary School are believed to be in the same year group.

The UK Health Security Agency said the children caught the invasive group A streptococcal infection (iGAS). Pupils and staff at the school are being prescribed antibiotics.

The child who died was believed to be six. The other child is recovering.

Cases of the infection, which is sometimes called Strep A, have been rising recently after the easing of Covid restrictions.


Back to top button