Murderer stabbed friend to death with carving knife, went on run after drink-driving row

George Ferrier was found guilty of manslaughter after a row erupted with his close friend, resulting in him stabbing him to death.

A man stabbed his friend to death during a heated argument about driving after drinking alcohol. George Ferrier killed 33-year-old Steven Fry with a large carving knife following a dispute between the friends on September 10, 2021. The two had known each other for several years when the argument broke out, stemming from Steven driving his girlfriend’s car while under the influence of alcohol. During the argument, Ferrier rushed to the kitchen, picked up a knife, and attacked Steven, stabbing him in the chest and leg.

Ferrier left the scene, disposing of the murder weapon, and went on the run for 12 days.

He then handed himself into the police were he was arrested and charged with murder.

Ferriers argued he has acted in self-defense after fearing Steven was about to attack him.

Following a trial at the Old Bailey Ferrier, Appleby Road, E16 was found guilty of manslaughter and jailed for 14 years and 10 months.

In a victim impact statement read in court, Steven’s family said his last moments were “of fear, panic, and pain, and that in the end, he was alone”.

They said: “Steven was a son, a brother, an uncle, and friend to so many including the person who took his life. He was well known in the community and so many people considered him their surrogate son or brother,” said his sister Carly.

“When I was told of his death I screamed, and I didn’t stop for what seemed like forever. But then I had to do the worst thing I have ever done, I had to call my mum and tell her that her youngest son had not only died but had been murdered. I will never forget that moment, I could practically hear her heart breaking down the phone.

“We know his last moments were of fear, panic and pain, and that in the end, he was alone. There is no closure from that. You can never fully heal; we will carry his suffering with us always.”

A post-mortem examination concluded that the cause of death was stab wounds to the chest and knee.

Detective Inspector Frank Copley, who led the investigation, said: “This is a tragic incident and one which has understandably left a family utterly bereft. Our thoughts continue to remain with them at this time.

“Their suffering has been prolonged by having to sit through a trial and listen to the details of what happened that night. As they have said, they will never heal from this but we hope they find comfort in the fact justice has been done.”


Back to top button