News

Prince William and Kate continue US trip ahead of climate prize

The Prince and Princess of Wales have visited a charity that works with young people at risk of urban violence, as their US trip continues.

They are in America to hand out awards for their Earthshot Prize – given to innovative ideas for the environment. But the trip risks being overshadowed by a racism row involving Prince William’s godmother.

Lady Susan Hussey resigned after asking a black British charity boss where she was “really” from.
This is the royal couple’s first big international appearance since the death of the Queen, and since they became the Prince and Princess of Wales.
Their trip will culminate in a star-studded prize ceremony on Friday, in Boston – home town of former US President John F Kennedy, on whose “Moonshot” challenge the Earthshot Prize is based. The prince’s brother Harry, the Duke of Sussex, and Meghan are not expected to attend the awards ceremony.

But on the second day of Prince William and Catherine’s trip, the trailer for Harry and Meghan’s “behind closed doors” Netflix series was released.

The minute-long clip features previously unseen pictures of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex, including tearful images of Meghan.

The BBC’s Daniela Relph, who is in Boston, says not to expect the Prince and Princess of Wales to comment on the Netflix series during their US trip. Royal sources say they want to concentrate on meeting communities and local people. Prince William and Catherine visited Greentown Labs, near Boston, which brings together start-ups and investors that are trying to create technology that will support the environment.

It is described as a community for climate pioneers, and has supported more than 500 companies since it was founded in 2011.

During the visit, eight-year-old Henry Dynov-Teixeira, dressed as a guardsman complete with replica bearskin, handed the Princess of Wales a bunch of red roses.

Source: BBC

In other news – Sajid Javid to stand down as MP at next election

Former chancellor and health secretary Sajid Javid has said he will stand down as an MP at the next general election.

Sajid Javid

Mr Javid, MP for the Worcestershire seat of Bromsgrove, said he had made the decision “after much reflection. Learn more

Related Articles

Back to top button