English Premier League

Liverpool 4-3 Fulham

Liverpool 4-3 Fulham. Trent Alexander-Arnold scored an 88th-minute winner as Liverpool mounted a stunning late comeback to beat Fulham in a seven-goal thriller at Anfield.

Trailing 3-2 in the 87th minute, Liverpool equalised as Wataru Endo scored his first Premier League goal and seconds later Alexander-Arnold completed the turnaround.

Alexander-Arnold had helped Liverpool open the scoring in the 20th minute when his free-kick ricocheted off the crossbar and in off Fulham keeper Bernd Leno.

Former Red Harry Wilson equalised four minutes later before Alexis Mac Allister restored Liverpool’s lead after 38 minutes with a stunning long-range strike.

Kenny Tete netted Fulham’s second equaliser in first-half injury time and Bobby De Cordova-Reid headed the Cottagers into the lead in the 80th minute.

Fulham had looked set to end Liverpool’s 13-month unbeaten home record in the Premier League. Instead, the Reds kept up their perfect record at Anfield this season and cut Arsenal’s lead at the top to two points.

Marco Silva’s side stayed 14th. No team has won more points from losing positions (15) than Liverpool in the Premier League this season.

Not only did Jurgen Klopp’s side pull off a heart-racing comeback, they did it with four brilliant strikes.

After Mohamed Salah had an early effort ruled out for offside, Alexander-Arnold dispatched his fine curling free-kick from 25 yards out, which clipped the woodwork and Leno on the way into the net.

Mac Allister’s effort 18 minutes later was even better. The Argentine blasted the ball into the top corner from range to score his first goal for the Reds.

Liverpool looked far likelier winners early in the second half. Forward Darwin Nunez was twice sent clear but hit the crossbar with one effort, and sliced another off target.

Fulham, though, delivered what seemed to be crushing blow on the break and the Reds looked set for their first home league defeat since losing to Leeds in October 2022.

But, rallied by the Anfield crowd, Endo curled in a fine shot from the edge of the box, before Alexander-Arnold controlled a lofted clearance with his knee and smashed an effort into the bottom corner.

Liverpool’s defending did look suspect in moments and questions will be asked of goalkeeper Caoimhin Kelleher, filling in for the injured Alisson, who should have done better to keep out Fulham’s second, unable to hack the ball away with his boot.

But for now, the Reds will enjoy a thrilling win.

Fulham do not traditionally do well at Liverpool. The Cottagers had won just two of their past 36 visits coming into Sunday’s fixture and had never before scored more than once in the Premier League at Anfield.

Yet they were three minutes plus stoppage time away from a stunning victory.

Liverpool 4-3 Fulham

Former Liverpool winger Wilson had equalised for the visitors with his side’s first attack, slotting in Antonee Robinson’s cross.

Fulham’s second leveller was only granted after a lengthy video assistant referee review. Raul Jimenez nodded a corner on to Tete, who flicked into the net. The strike was initially flagged for offside, but that call was eventually overturned.

The delay caused by the video assistant referee decision, and an earlier head injury for Fulham keeper Leno, meant there were 12 minutes of first-half injury time.

And Fulham played their best football during that additional time, seemingly adding a third when Tim Ream, who ultimately timed his run too early and was ruled offside, tapped in a rebound after Kelleher did well to keep out a Joao Palhinha header.

Having soaked up plenty of Liverpool pressure in the second half, Fulham made a late break forward and Willian combined with fellow substitute De Cordova-Reid, heading in his dinked cross.

But Marco Silva’s side were unable to hold on, and their wait continued for a first Premier League away win since beating Everton on the opening day.

source – BBC

Back to top button