English Premier League

Newcastle United 4-3 West Ham United

Newcastle United 4-3 West Ham United. Substitute Harvey Barnes scored two late goals as Newcastle edged a seven-goal thriller against West Ham at St James’ Park.

Newcastle made the perfect start when Anthony Gordon won a penalty with just three minutes played and Alexander Isak converted from 12 yards after a lengthy check by the video assistant referee (VAR).

But the game started to get away from the Magpies when West Ham scored three unanswered goals.

Michail Antonio brought the Hammers on to level terms before Mohammed Kudus and Jarrod Bowen scored within minutes either side of half-time.

Isak scored his second penalty of the afternoon after Gordon was again adjudged to have been fouled and Barnes grabbed the equaliser in the 83rd minute.

With momentum and a vociferous St James’ Park firmly behind them, Newcastle pressed on and Barnes emphatically fired in a 90th-minute winner.

There was further drama to come in injury time as Newcastle were reduced to 10 men when Gordon received a second yellow card for kicking the ball away, but they managed to hold out for a victory that could prove vital in their pursuit of European football.

Newcastle climb up to eighth, just a point behind West Ham in seventh.

Prior to kick-off Eddie Howe stressed the importance of Newcastle making a positive start upon their return from the international break, with 10 games to try and salvage something from an underwhelming season.

It was an emotional rollercoaster for the Newcastle faithful but, ultimately, an afternoon that could prove to be a pivotal moment.

There was little doubt that top-scorer Isak would dispatch his penalty to get them up and running, but things started to fall apart soon after when Jamaal Lascelles went off with an injury.

Emil Krafth came on in his place as Newcastle shuffled around their backline but they looked disjointed as Antonio found space to equalise.

After Kudus and Bowen gave West Ham a two-goal cushion the atmosphere within St James’ Park started to turn toxic, yet the players maintained their belief and fought to get back into the encounter.

Isak reduced the deficit with his second penalty, taking his tally for the season in the Premier League to 14, although the decision to award the spot-kick seemed harsh with Kalvin Phillips penalised for catching Gordon as he attempted to clear the ball.

Referee Rob Jones did not initially point to the spot but he changed his mind after being asked to review the incident on the pitchside monitor.

Newcastle, who have been plagued by injury issues all season, lost a further two players during the second half with Krafth and Miguel Almiron forced off.

But Barnes, returning from a two-game injury absence, turned the game on its head with two goals in the last 10 minutes of regulation time.

Gordon’s injury-time red card for petulant behaviour made Newcastle’s job of hanging on a little bit harder than they would have liked, and the winger will now miss a reunion with former club Everton on Tuesday.

With potentially the top eight places offering up European football in the Premier League, Newcastle have ensured they remain firmly in the mix.

source – BBC

Back to top button