Oscar winner George Clooney and other top Hollywood stars have offered $150m (R2.8bn) to the Sag-Aftra actors union as part of a proposal to end the actors’ strike as it nears its 100th day.
Their offer, confirmed by Clooney’s spokesperson on Thursday, would provide the union with an extra $150m over three years and could help fund improved health benefits.
Clooney also said top stars would only collect residuals once lower-paid actors received theirs.
“A lot of top earners want to be part of the solution,” Clooney told Hollywood publication Deadline, which first reported the news.
“We think it’s fair for us to pay more into the union.”
A Sag-Aftra spokesperson did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
Members of Sag-Aftra have been on strike since July. Talks between the union and the Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers broke down last week, dashing hopes for a resolution.
The strike, which will mark its 100th day on Saturday, has disrupted film and television production, leaving thousands of crew members and actors without work.
Hollywood’s film and television writers ratified a new, three-year contract earlier this month, ending their 148-day work stoppage.
In other news – Maluma reveals he’s expecting ish first child with Susana Gomez
The Grammy winner revealed he and girlfriend Susana Gomez are expecting their first baby together with footage included in his new music video for his single, “Procura.” Maluma, 29, debuted the heartwarming video for his song during his Oct. 19 concert in Washington, D.C.
The four-minute video features an inside look at the couple’s romance, including various clips of them together over time, which culminates with glimpses at their pregnancy journey. Maluma and Susana are also seen celebrating their little one’s upcoming arrival at a sex reveal party, where they both wear matching necklaces that spell out the name “Paris.” Read More